Exercises learned in this class that have benefited me.
First off, this has been an amazing class. I've learned a lot about myself, some good, some not so good. The nice thing though is I've also learned how to correct some of the not so good. Through out the class, I've mentioned a couple of times of a relationship I'm in that is has been rocky to say the least. This has been due to several factors, most of which I have to take responsibility for. I mention this as a way to explain why one of the mini practices was important to me. That was the in chap. 9, Interpersonal Flourishing. On page 93 is this small phrase:
May all individual gain freedom from suffering.
May all individual find sustained health, happiness, and wholeness.
May I assist all individuals in gaining freedom from suffering.
May I assist all individuals in finding health, happiness, and wholeness.
This has really helped me because it was simple for me to remember and I can do it at work where I need it most since I happen to work with this person. I got so wrapped up in me and this issue that I forgot how blessed I am in so many other ways. There are people at work facing much more serious problems, and thinking of them has helped me to get a clearer picture of my situation. I find when I'm feeling down, or losing site of the big picture, this phrase helps me to remember who lucky I really am.
The second exercise that I really liked was the subtle mine. I found while taking this course that a big problem I have is my internal dialog. If I could write, I'd be a best selling author. Quieting the mind is going to take a lot of work for me, but oh so badly needed. The useless chatter in my head is deafening and often counterproductive. It has also been a big part of my issues with this relationship. I over think things, or even, I'm pretty sure, talk myself into emotions that are more of the mind than the heart. Taking 30 minutes at the end of the day or if necessary at lunch, to find time to practice this is helping a lot. I have a long way to go as I said, but at least now I feel there is hope that and that it doesn't have to come from a prescription bottle.
As I said, these 2 together are helping me to quit the dang pity party, and remember what a great life I really have and how very fortunate I am to have my family, friends, health, and to also remember that all things will happen in their time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Shana, I can see these two excercises through your eyes a little bit, as we seem to have a similiar experience with a troubled relationship.
ReplyDeleteAll the best to you, keep working through it, the world wants the best you there is!
Stacy