INTRODUCTION
Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically? There is more to us as human beings than just the biological. To achieve true health the whole person needs to be treated. Especially in todays world of high stress, social isolation, and a never slow down world many of the physical problems we experience are simply a physical manifestation of our mental and or spiritual state. Even today's commercials for depression medication state that “depression hurts”. A perfect mental/physical example.
In the past 9 weeks while taking this class I have had the opportunity to asses the different areas of my life. While I believe there is always room for improvement in all areas, I would say my area for most improvement would be the psychological.
ASSESMENT
Two years ago, I started on journey to improve my health. This included working out, losing weight, and getting in shape. Shortly after there was a major life change that also helped me find my spiritual health, something I hadn't really known was in such bad shape. I felt myself beginning to feel happier and more in control of what and where my life was going. At the time of all these changes I was unaware that I was beginning a path the could lead to integral health. I'm continuing to improve these areas, but have found the psychologically, I have a lot of work to do. Initially, I was so focused on the first two areas, that nothing else really interfered. I was very fond of saying that I felt like the last 20 years had belonged to another person, and I was getting a chance to begin a new one. Having gotten this far, I now have to address the psychological aspect of my life. I've started to let my awareness expand beyond my training and as that happens, more and more “noise” is coming through.
GOAL DEVELOPMENT
I plan on working to quiet my mind, and expand on the loving kindness areas. After having been a wife and mother, I have spent the last 2 years focusing on me. This was a good thing, and something I really needed to do, but now I need to expand outwards. I tend to over think things and somehow make everything about me. It has started to overflow and affect now my physical and spiritual health.
For my physical health, although I've lost a significant amount of weight, I would like to drop at least 10 more pounds. These are those stubborn “last” 10, and I've been struggling for a year. I exercise very regularly but my diet though improved from 2 years ago, it has room (lots) for improvement.
As for my spiritual development I'm not sure what goal I have other than to try to continue with the growth I've recently begun and simply grow a little stronger. I would like to connect more with nature and learn to have a more simple and peaceful life.
PRACTISES FOR PERSONAL HEALTH
For my psychological improvement I plan to use the meditation we learned here such as the quiet mind and loving kindness. I would like to be able to learn how to not just quiet the noise but to eliminate it as much as possible. I also plan on using the loving-kindness exercise to move beyond my own little world but also to grow comfortable with myself with the hope that by doing so, I can improve my personal relationships as well. I definitely need to find time to each day to reflect and reground myself.
Physical improvement means taking control of my diet. This means eliminating much of the sugar currently in it and learning to control my carb intake better.
It means working hard on the quiet mind which well aid in reducing stress created by mindless mind wandering. I plan on continuing my current exercise regimen and working on my lifting.
Spiritually I’m not sure where I plan to go with this. I’m hoping that as I work with the meditation, and other avenues to improve my psychological, that this will kind of fall into place.
COMMITMENT
As a matter of assessment, going back and following the same steps for the original assessment seems to be the best possible choice. As improvement is made in each area, it should also become apparent in how I feel about myself, and handle my day to day activities.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment